Universal Access To All Knowledge
Home Donate | Store | Blog | FAQ | Jobs | Volunteer Positions | Contact | Bios | Forums | Projects | Terms, Privacy, & Copyright

Poster: Administrator, Curator, or StaffTyler Date: Jul 19, 2007 5:32pm
Forum: etree Subject: UPDATED RATDOG LMA Policy Info (Post 10/1/2003 AUD's OK. SBD's still NOT OK)

For the past three years, the Live Music Archive (LMA) has not allowed ANY Ratdog shows from Oct 1, 2003 onward to be hosted here. This was based off of an e-mail conversation with Peter Ammerall that is quoted below. Apparently there was a misunderstanding in what he wanted for the Ratdog policy / section of archive.org. We had thought he wanted NO shows by ratdog performed Oct 1, 2003 or later to be hosted on the LMA. Apparently it was that he wanted no SOUNDBOARD sources Oct 1, 2003 or later on archive.org. Audience recordings were OK to host on the LMA. That being said, the policy has been edited and feel free to upload shows that follow this updated Ratdog policy. Thanks.

Tyler

-------------
http://www.archive.org/details/Ratdog
-------------

Limited Flag: LimRange (No SBD's from Oct 1, 2003 onward)

IMPORTANT July 2007 Update from Charlie Miller: "I spoke with my friend Peter Ammerall and he said that there was a misunderstanding in the Ratdog policy which I (charlie miller) helped with. He said that he doesn't care if shows after oct 2003 go up on LMA, just no SBD's after Oct 2003."

Previous Policy notes, kept for records:

**8/20/04 Ratdog policy update** -- NO shows on or after October 01, 2003 allowed on archive.org

Peter wrote:

"I would like to change the allowable trade policy in regards to the dates. Please do not allow any shows to be posted that are dated after September 2003. Please remove any shows that have been posted after that date. Please contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Peter Ammerall
Ratdog"

Archive admin Tyler Huff clarified:

"just for clarification, you said: "Please do not allow any shows to be posted that are dated after September 2003." you mean that any show that occured on October 01, 2003 or later is NOT allowed on archive.org, correct? Oct 1 is the split date, right?"

Peter replied:

"> yes that is correct and thank you very much.
> Peter Ammerall
> Ratdog"
---------

Audio Taping

RatDog allows and encourages fans to record its concerts with their own gear. Soundboard patches will not be permitted, and RatDog's crew will not be able to assist you with your gear, cords, or strategies. In some cases, venue policy will preclude taping.

>Video Taping

RatDog does not allow fans to videotape its concerts.

>Still Photography

RatDog allows and encourages fans to take still photographs using consumer-model (non-professional) cameras. The use of flashes is highly discouraged as it is a distraction to the band and other fans and does not improve the quality of photos. In some cases, venue policy will preclude photography.

>Trading Audience Recordings

RatDog allows and encourages the trading of audience recordings of its concerts provided that no money or tangible products are included. Internet downloads are permitted provided there is no charge for the service, even if such charge is only intended for the purpose of recovering the costs incurred to provide the recordings.

>Trading Non-Official Soundboard Recordings

RatDog allows and encourages the trading of soundboard recordings of its concerts on and prior to September 6, 2003, and those not recorded for release in the Official CD Series. Internet downloads of concerts on and prior to September 6, 2003 are permitted provided there is no charge for the service, even if such charge is only intended for the purpose of recovering the costs incurred to provide the recordings.
Trading Official Soundboard Recordings

Trading and distribution of soundboard recordings of concerts on and after October 11, 2003 that were recorded for release in the Official CD Series are not allowed

------
Previously included info:

**same as Grateful Dead, note portion of policy that says "at our concerts and those of our individual members"

Message from Grateful Dead Productions, Inc. // Ice Nine

STATEMENT TO MP3 SITE OPERATORS:

The Grateful Dead and our managing organizations have long encouraged the purely
non-commercial exchange of music taped at our concerts and those of our individual members. That
a new medium of distribution has arisen - digital audio files being traded over the Internet - does not
change our policy in this regard.

Our stipulations regarding digital distribution are merely extensions of those long-standing
principles and they are as follows:

No commercial gain may be sought by websites offering digital files of our music, whether
through advertising, exploiting databases compiled from their traffic, or any other means.

All participants in such digital exchange acknowledge and respect the copyrights of the
performers, writers and publishers of the music.

This notice should be clearly posted on all sites engaged in this activity.

We reserve the ability to withdraw our sanction of non-commercial digital music should
circumstances arise that compromise our ability to protect and steward the integrity of our
work.

On August 9, 2004, band archivist Peter Ammerall gave the OK for Ratdog's inclusion on archive.org:

"Hi,

My name is Peter Ammerall and I am the archivist for Ratdog. Charlie Miller sent me your contact info. Our taping policy allows for older material prior to official release to be traded as long as no money is exchanged. We would love to be a part of archive.org. Please email me if you have any questions or need any more information from me.

Peter Ammerall

Ratdog"

Poster: J.C. Date: Jul 20, 2007 8:51am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: UPDATED RATDOG LMA Policy Info (Post 10/1/2003 AUD's OK. SBD's still NOT OK)

Awesome news.